The University of Alabama Technology Accessibility Initiative is excited to announce continuation of grants to caption and or transcribe UA-owned video and audio that will be shared on public or campus-wide web sites. Grants cannot be used for course materials or commercial content. Apply for a grant.
Course-related captioning needs for students who need accommodations are met through the Office of Disability Services. Instructors and campus areas are strongly encouraged acquire or request captioned versions of films or commercial content used in academic settings. UA Libraries have many captioned videos available in the Music Library and via database resources.
As of November 2016, grants have funded captioning of over 2000 minutes of public-facing video on UA web sites.
The following criteria can be used to prioritize captioning efforts and use of grant funds:
- Are the videos public-facing or campus-wide?
- Are the videos informational or educational (as opposed to promotional)?
- Are the videos newly created?
- Are the videos frequently accessed?
- Does the campus area have funding available to captioning the videos? If so, contact us for information about discounted captioning services through our vendor.