We use social media to share information and engage with our audiences. However, by failing to ensure our social media content is accessible to users with disabilities, we erect barriers to engagement and undermine the success of our efforts. Explore these resources to learn how to create messages that reach the largest possible audience. For topics not covered here, contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to help.
Social Media Accessibility
- Level Access: Accessibility in Social Media
- Accessible U: Accessible Social Media
- DigitalGov: Federal Social Media Accessibility Toolkit
- Siteimprove: How to Be More Accessible on Social Media
- University of Alabama Social Media Directory
- Facebook Help: Accessibility for People with Disabilities
- Facebook Help: How do I edit the alternative text for a photo?
- Facebook Help: How do I add captions to my Page’s video?
- Facebook Accessibility page
- Instagram Help: How do I edit the alternative text for a photo on Instagram?
- How Blind People Use Instagram (YouTube video)
- How A Blind Person Reads Comments on Instagram (YouTube video)
- YouTube captions help
- Add your own subtitles & closed captions
- YouTube screen reader help
- YouTube Captioning Cheatsheet – One-page accessibility resource from NCDAE.